Miss All Sunday


It's okay. Robin you'll be okay. There's still something you're hiding, isn't there? But when it comes to pirates, you can't leave a crew without the captain's permission. So you should have faith in Luffy

New blog! yeah, again


AvU3Gct.jpg
I realize there is an entry already but hey! I need to keep on writing new entries.

I've been working on a new blog platform these past weeks, I always wanted to work with cutting edge PHP and try different things. This idea isn't knew, its been on my head for a few years, yeah... I realize I waited too long but meh, doesn't matter, here I am.

Building my own framework was out of scope, using a framework was the overall best choice. The question was what framework. After trying things here and there I narrow it down to two options, fatfree and lithium, I've been toying with both for a few years now so I was already familiar with them. Trying a new framework also was an option, however the learning curve drive me away from any. So, between fatfree and lithium I chose fatfree, again the learning curve was easier and I also liked the fact that there was no hardcoded file structure. The only thing that I do not like is its license, this was a very heavy thing against fatfree, I very much avoid anything that has the GPL stamp on it and unfortunately, fatfree its GPL3.

The license was a very big thing, however since this project its only going to be used by me and will not really be redistributed or anything, I kinda accepted the license, plus, the freedom of file structure also played a big role into choosing fatfree. So, fatfree it is! Next thing, front end.

I was familiar with materialize, however one very big thing against it was the usage of HTML elements to display icons, this means google will crawl them as HTML elements which makes the pages indexed by google to be ugly and with extra words. That alone was enough to go with a different option. I tried a few options but since fatfree had native support for bootstrap I decided to use bootstrap ?

Next thing, an editor, summernote was the chosen one, mainly because I found it easy to customize and also because it has native support for bootstrap ?

Once I got the very basic stuff, I started working on a converted, got that cover for the most part, I still have some issues with emojis and I still haven't decided how the urls are going to be saved and displayed but its a minor thing. Having sorted out the converted quite easy made me go the extra mile and build a forum platform, so the blog quickly became an hybrid between a blog and a forum.

Building a forum means extra stuff but since, again this is a personal thing, I built just what I'm going to use, it makes no sense to write stuff that I never going to use such as a moderation center for example. I prefer to focus on stuff I do use.

After getting used to fatfree, the rest was easy, specially because I'm not really following a proper MVC approach and I also ain't following fatfree's RESTful approach either. Again, this is a personal thing and it of course it shouldn't be used as an example of how to do stuff properly ? but I'm happy with the result. There was a few things I built for the previous platform, mostly the cron jobs. Building those on the new platform its a must do thing. Fortunately composer makes life easier.

I also code a few custom things, mostly related to the structured data stuff and some others to make things easier while posting new blog entries. After getting all the back end stuff, the next thing was the structured data stuff. Google says, monkey do. As simple as that. Fortunately for me, building stuff from the ground makes it easy or rather makes it less annoying to add that crap.

And this is currently where I am, between the structured data and start making changes to the front end. While I'm typing this I realize I almost burn out all the writings I accumulated since last year. I hope I am able to finish the new platform before I ran out of entries ? Edit, I wrote this entry a few weeks ago thinking the site wasn't gonna be ready by the time this entry was going live, turns out it did!


Last edited by Suki reason: add spaces and typos on 20 Feb 2017, 8:11 am

oh well, I went with the hackish thing of adding an additional check on post controller... not nice but meh... also removed the full editor to guest.


Today I got my first spammer, it was just a matter of time and I was kinda curious to know what and when it will happen.

Bright side is I now know the "new registered user" mail is working and I also got fresh, real spammer data to test the stop forum spammer API against.

I also have no way to automatically delete an user, perhaps this incident will finally push me to write a decent admin panel.


I removed the captcha and implemented a very raw check using stopforumspam API. Lets see how it goes 🤔🤔